Splish Splash Inn is a beautiful application that teaches number recognition and counting. Sea-themed, this app takes place at the “Splish Splash Inn,” a hotel for fish. Go door to door, find out what kind of fish is staying in each room, and practice counting with the narration as each fish swims into the room. There are 10 rooms to choose from. This would be a lovely game in and of itself, but what makes this app all the more special is that each fish is musical and you can help them swim around as well. Tap to play, and drag to move around the screen. The drawings are beautiful, the music is well done, and I enjoy introducing my son to the names of these fish this way. As an adult, I also like how each hotel room is styled differently, a nice touch parents will appreciate.
I think it’s great how children can play this game at their own pace, and I am impressed with how long this app holds both my 2.5+ year old son’s, as well as my attention. The first time we played, my boy wanted to quickly go to every room to see what kind of fish there was to discover. Now when he plays, he stays longer in each room, tapping and dragging the fish around the screen, being really engaged with their sounds. My favorite rooms are those where the fish play octaves so one can really make music with them. The effect can be quite magical. Others have more of a random noise quality that is still fun and entertaining, but not as musical.
I really hope the developers at Shortstack continue to make children’s educational apps. The quality here is grand, and I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.
Splish Splash Inn
Released: 2010-09-20 00:00:00
Description from the DeveloperNamed one of MSNBC.com's favorite educational and entertaining applications for kids!
"Splish Splash Inn, from Shortstack, is one of those great educational-but-your-kids-will-never-know-it apps that we really love." - Cool Mom Tech.
Named one of "Top 5 Educational Preschool Apps" by Modern Mom.
Named one of "Top 10 iPhone Apps for Infants" by Geekasms.
Top 10 reasons to get Splish Splash Inn!
1. It's a great way to help toddlers and pre-schoolers on the pre-math skill of connecting numbers to actual quantities.
2. The illustrations are beautiful! (By a regular contributing artist to The New Yorker)
3. It takes place in an underwater hotel!
4. You can play Mary Had a Little Lamb on the starfish in room #5!
5. It's a great way to work with younger ones on teaching cause and effect (if you touch the door, it opens!)
6. It's a fun way to introduce your kids to new sea creatures, like jellyfish, starfish and manta rays.
7. The sea-creatures make music when you touch them - like notes on an underwater keyboard!
8. It was created with children's developmental milestones in mind.
9. You can play in English, French, or Spanish!
10. You can watch your child dance to the opening theme song!
"For kids learning to count, learning their sea creatures, or who just love to play music, this app is easily worth the price.” - Lunchbox Reviews
Note: not compatible with 1st generation devices
Shortstack cares about children and respects your privacy. This app does not collect any data, have push notifications, or ads. In order to easily direct you to our other apps, we have a "more" button on the settings page. This button is text only and is intended for parents.